Since commencing this examination of the Coade Manufactory and it products I was made aware of the excellent work of Prof. Geoffrey Walford by Dr Geoffrey Tyack.
I cannot claim any new insights into the rest of the sculpture on the Racliffe Observatory - Professor Walford does a much better job particularly with the discovery of the letter from John Sealy -
the only original research I can claim is my work on the relationship of the small Roubiliac bronze Hercules and Atlas on the top of the Clay musical clock now in Kensington Palace and the large lead group on the roof of the Radcliffe Observatory Tower.
https://www.gtc.ox.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/new-research-on-radcliffe-observatory/
Prof. Walford has published two excellent in depth articles in the Georgian Group Journal.
The Radcliffe Observatory Oxford: New light on its building history Vol. XXXII p. 201.
Coade Stone and the Radcliffe Observatory; Oxford. A letter from the Coade Stone Manufactory Vol. XXXIV p.137.
Here I publish the letter from John Sealy to the Rev. Dr Hornsby Dated Wednesday Evening 8 March 97.
Thomas Hornsby FRS (1733 in Durham – 11 April 1810 in
Oxford).
Hornsby was instrumental in the establishment of the
Radcliffe Observatory at Oxford in 1772, and was made Radcliffe Observer in the
same year. In 1782, he was appointed Sedleian Professor of Natural Philosophy.
In 1783, he became Radcliffe Librarian. He was elected a Foreign Honorary
Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1788.
'Dear Slr,
Mr Wyatt being in the Country — I am prevented of
availing myself of his advice on the Subject of your
favour of the 6th inst — your approbation of the
Style in which workmanship of the Signs of the
Zodiac have been executed gives me pleasure but
it receives considerable Alloy from yr observations
which accompany it — But indulge me Sir with a few
Remarks on the Subject, and they must be but few as I
am scarce able through sickness to follow my thoughts
or to hold my pen for any length of time together
On looking back to my Instructions for modelling
these Signs I find myself referred to the Globe on
the Shoulders of Atlas in the farnese collection as
described in Spence's Polymetis - Now Sir will you
refer to this - Leo was taken from this - you find the
tail as I have modelled it- nor can I think it worth
altering especially as in Plate 25 No 3 you will also
see the tail turned along his back' [here is a small
drawingshowing the tail turned along the top of the
lion's back].
In Spence's Polymetis - Now Sir will you refer to this -
Leo was taken from this - you will find the Tail as I have modelled
it - nor can I think it worth alteringespecially as in plate 25 no 3 you will also see the tail his back
(here I have inserted a blow up of the tiny sketch in the letter)
................................
Here I have once again used the images from Green Templeton
College, Oxford website -
The Coade Capricorn.
The curious form of Capricornus, the goat with a fish-tail,
derives from the myth in which the god Pan jumped into the water just as he was
changing shape in an attempt to escape from the monster Typhon. While the half
of him above the water assumed the shape of a goat, the lower half became a
fish.
...............................
There are only eleven panels of the signs of the Zodiac in all, which fit the spaces in
the facade of the tower of Observatory
and complies with ancient Greek thought of only 11 .





No comments:
Post a Comment