in the 18th Century.
The busts of John and Martha Cossins and William and John Innys
by Michael Rysbrack
now in the Redland Chapel, Redland.
Much of the information gathered here first appeared in
Michael Rysbrack Sculptor 1694 - 1770. by Katherine Eustace - Exhibition Catalogue. City of Bristol Art Gallery 1982.
and A Place Full of Rich and Industrious People - Katherine Eustace - in British Art Journal Vol VII Spring Summer 2006.
Redland Court c. 1735.
John Strahan (d. 1742)
Signed by Strahan bottom right
Image British Library.
Gerry Nichols notes in 2013 on the BL Website - This original frontage was changed in 1747 by the addition of two extra bays making the proportions 2/3/2. The original 1/3/1 proportions are still visible on the rear elevation. The building is still in use as Redland High School for Girls.
see Article by Bryan Little - http://www.alha.org.uk/2%20Avon%20Past%20v.9%20-%20Autumn%201983.pdf
Redland Court, Redland in about 1912
Redland Chapel 1788
Drawing Samuel Hieronymus Grimm 1788
The Monument in the Vestry, Redland Chapel erected at the Expense of John Innys.
Comment by Gerry Nichols of 2013 on the British Library webpage.
Source of image and info. - British Library.
Drawing of Interior of The Redland Chapel by James Stewart Junior c. 1750.
Drawing of Interior of The Redland Chapel by James Stewart Junior
The British Library website has a comment that the figures represented are John and Martha Cossins on the left and Elizabeth ,William (bookseller) and John Innys* on the right.
Image Courtesy British Library.
see - http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/kinggeorge/other/003ktop00000013u095a0000.html
* John Innys inherited Redland Court on the death of his sister Martha Cossins
Signed M Rysbrack
For William Innys see -
For a useful account of John Innys see -
For some interesting notes the Innys family see -
to be continued......