Friday 25 November 2016

Jonathan Swift by Roubiliac, Trinity College Library, Dublin.

The Marble Bust of Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745).
by Louis Francois Roubiliac,
circa 1748/49. 
Trinity College Library, Dublin.
Photographs taken by the author 4 October 2016.










 Sources for Trinity College Library Roubiliac bust of Swift.
It is most unlikely that Roubiliac ever met Swift.
Swift was last in London in 1727 when he stayed with Alexander Pope.
Jonathan Swift.
after Charles Jervas.
engraved by Paul Foudrinier.
Plate 355 x 262 mm.
 © National Portrait Gallery, London.
Jonathan Swift.
after Charles Jervas (1675 - 1739).
Engraved by George Vertue.
Plate size -372 x 262 mm.
First quarter of the 18th century.
© National Portrait Gallery, London
The two engravings above are possibly the sources for the Roubiliac Busts of Swift.

Jonathan Swift.
Mezzotint after Markham.
signed Vanhaeken.
This engraving is much closer to the Cunningham bust and was probably the source for it.

Mezzotint after Markham.
Thomas Burford.
dated 1744.
Pub Bowles London.
Plate size - 351 x 249 mm.

For an Article by Malcolm Baker on the Trinity College Library busts  

The Magnificent Baroque Plaster Ceiling of c. 1670/80. 
removed from Armitage's Oriental Café.
Formerly the Sign of the Feathers. 
6 Wheelergate, Nottingham
when demolished in 1961.
Rescued and restored by Peter Hone with the assistance of the author.
Currently in store and ready for installation with Messrs Taylor Pearce of New Cross, London.
The pivotal decision in the history of England to ally the northern aristocracy with the protestant William III and to depose the Catholic James II - The Glorious Revolution was made at The Sign of the Feathers on 23 November 1688.
for a full description and the researches into the ceiling see -
1950's photograph of the frontage of 4 - 6 Wheelergate, Nottingham.
6 Wheelergate on the left. The ceiling was in the ground floor room on the left.
The Corner building was destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
the bomb missed the ceiling by about 18 ft.
Late 19th Century photograph of 2 - 6 Wheelergate, on the corner of Friar Lane and Wheelergate showing the 2 Wheelergate - the Old Moot Hall Wine Vaults building prior to rebuilding in 1901.
The ceiling in Armitage's Oriental Café
Photographed in the late 1950's.
Press cutting from Nottingham Post 7 March 1960
Photograph Courtesy Nigel Waring.
The ceiling with the 30 layers of paint removed
Laid out at the workshop of Messrs Taylor Pearce, New Cross, London.
Detail of the Ceiling showing the Coat of Arms of the Braddylls of Brockholes
Photographs - the author.
for a full description and researches into the ceiling see -