for further information see my blog entry -
Inscribed Shout on the back.
Height: 55cm Width: 45cm Depth: 22cm
Height: 43.5cm Width: 30.5cm Depth: 18cm
According to the Wedgwood archives, James Hoskins and Benjamin Grant supplied Wedgwood with busts of Garrick and Sterne in 1779.
Other busts supplied to Wedgwood during the previous four years included Swift, Milton, Spenser, Chaucer, Addison, Pope, Locke, Dryden, Dr Johnson, Ben Jonson, Sir William Reigley, Prior, Congreve, Fletcher, Beaumont, Bacon, Boyle, Harvey, and Newton.
The bust is based on an example of the Van Nost bust; the ribbons and folds around the neck are reproduced exactly. However, there is much more flare in the modelling of the hair, and the face is modelled with more distinction.
James Hoskins (d.1791) was apprenticed to the sculptor John Cheere (1709-87) in 1747. In partnership with Samuel Euclid Oliver, Hoskins managed a workshop on St Martin’s Lane. His stock-in-trade was plaster casts, many of which were copies of antique originals. In his capacity as ‘moulder and caster in plaster’ to the Royal Academy, Hoskins supplied plaster casts throughout the 1770s and 1780s. He also supplied Wedgwood with reliefs, busts and moulds, many of which were reproduced in black ‘basalt’ stoneware. Among Hoskins’s clients was Sir Joshua Reynolds, who commissioned a ‘plaister bust of Dr Johnson moulded after his death’, an object that still survives today.
Adam commissions: In the early 1770s, Adam commissioned Hoskins to produce two plaster figures – Apollo and Mercury – for Sir Edward Knatchbull at Mersham-le-Hatch in Kent. He paid £24 6s for the pair, but took some persuading from Adam. Knatchbull expressed concern that the nude Apollo figure might lack decorum: ‘I must send for a taylor to cloath him for as we sometimes have chaste and delicate eyes … nakedness might possibly give offence’.HAN VAN OLDENBARNEVELT
Acquired by Gerret Braamcamp ( 1699-1771 ), merchant in Amsterdam, owner of a shipping company, merchant of wood and collector. Clay's clock should have been one of the first works of art to be acquired by Braamcamp, which began collecting in 1735. Subsequently, his collection at Sweedenryck became renowned.
When he died, his collection was sold at auction; the clock is purchased for 3700 fl. by one of his three brothers, Rutger Braamcamp ( born 1706 ). Then, on the death of the latter, she passed to her nephews, the sons of her brother Hermann ( born in 1709 ) established in Portugal.
Subsequently, Clay's masterpiece was successively in the hands of Donna Maria Ignacio de Almeida in Castelo Branca and Infanta, Donna Maria Isabel ( died in 1876 ), sister of Dom Miguel, King of Portugal, who keeps him at the palace of S. Domingos de Benefica in Lisbon.
After the death of Infanta, the clock became the property of collector Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro ( 1848-1920 ), owner of the most complicated watch in the world at the time, the Leroy 01.
From Carvalho Monteiro, it passed through several hands to Pedro Felner da Costa who sold it to Christie’s London on November 8, 1972, lot 88.
Purchased from Christies by London Dealer Frank Partridge, the clock later passes to Robert de Balkany.
Jean François de Bastide, The Temple of the Arts or the Cabinet of Mr. Braamcamp, Amsterdam 1766.
William Barclay Squire, ‘ Handel’s clock music ’, The Musical Quarterly, v 1919, 538-52.
The Clock is 98 tall cms x 81 cms wide.
Believed to have been taken to Castletown by and Katherine Conolly, nee Conyngham (d.1752), the wife of the Speaker of the Irish house of Commons William Connolly (1662 - 1729)
William Conolly was at the time the richest man in Ireland
by descent to Major William Francis Conolly-Carew
Purchased by Desmond Guiness in 1966.
Desmond Guiness had purchased the house in 1967 from a Major Wilson who had bought the house and its collection in 1965.
Bought by the Castletown Foundation in 1975.
The chimes not currently functioning
Information from Castletown Decorative Arts pub 2011
Office of Public Works Ireland
Very kindly supplied by Celine of the Guides reception at Castletown......................................................
The Temple of the Four Grand Monarchies of the World.
Commenced by Charles Clay and completed by John Pyke.
in the Rotunda at Kensington Palace.
Acquired by Princess Augusta after 1743.
Excerpt below from Tessa Murdoch, Apollo, November 2013
An advertisement displaying the extent of his ability in Lloyd’s Evening Post 19–22 March 1779, is quoted here in full:
1. William, Barclay Squire, Handel’s Clock Music. Musical Quarterly, 1919, pp. 528–42.
Victoria and Albert Museum.
In 1736, a bill from the Huguenot jeweller Peter Dutens to Frederick, Prince of Wales for an eight day clock which shows the signs of the zodiac and the rising of the sun, reveals the close connections between the jewellers' and clockmakers' trades. The clock dial plate was drawn in London by Clay and was enamelled white and blue with the days and months and signs of the zodiac. The clock mechanism was imported from Paris, and Dutens supplied 'a Gold Sun chased' and the 'side Frizes to the Case & Glass'.
Offices of the Duchy of Cornwall: The Accounts of Frederick, Prince of Wales, Vol. VI.
The Huguenot jeweller Peter Dutens, of Leicester Fields supplied Frederick, Prince of Wales with
a clock for £61. 2s in 1736.
'For a Clock Case bought at Paris £11. 11.0.
Charges coming over with commission £ 2. 2.0.
The Dial Plate Enamel'd White & Blue with the Days & Months & Signs of the Zodiack £21. 0.0.
Paid Mr. Charles Clay Vizt.
For a Drawing for a Clock Dial Plate £ 1. 5.0.
For a Gold Sun chased £ 4. 4.0.
For making side Frizes to the Case & Glass £ 2. 2.0.
For an Eight day Clock that goes with a Chain to shew the signs of the Zodiack with Rising
of the Sun etc £18.18.0.
Information here from - Huguenot Artists Designers and Craftsmen in Great Britain and Ireland, 1680-1760 - Tessa Violet Murdoch Thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
A Succinct DESCRIPTION OF THAT Elaborate PILE OF ART, called the MICROCOSM With a Short Account of the SOLAR SYSTEM, third edition with additions, Coventry, MDCCLXIII".The clock consisted of a large edifice in the form of a Roman temple, ten feet high and six feet wide (305 x 183 cm). A number of levels displayed representations of the nine Muses on Parnassus, Orpheus charming the wild beasts in the forest, a grove with birds flying and singing, a clock with both the Ptolemaic and Copernican celestial systems and a landscape with a prospect of the Ocean and ships sailing. The foreground was animated with coaches, carts, chaises, people, birds and dogs. Finally, there was a busy carpenter's yard. An organ, harpsichord, spinet, flute and whistle with thoroughbass accompaniment played eight melodies:"At length all the various Parts of this Machine are at once presented to the Spectator's View in Motion, when upwards of one thousand two Hundred Wheels and Pinions move all together; And during the whole Performance, it plays several fine Pieces of Music on the Organ, in a very elegant Manner; and the Organ is likewise provided with a Set of Keys, so that Ladies or Gentlemen may, themselves perform on the Organ what Pieces of Music they best like."
Note, the Business will be carried on by Mrs. Pyke, widow of the deceased, and Mr. Holland his
late Apprentice and Nephew, who return their grateful, Thanks to the Nobility and Gentry for their past Favours, and solicit the Continuance of them, to merit which the utmost Attention will be given.