Monday 17 July 2023

The Woods at Maryport.


William Wood, Kelsick Wood and The Wood Family of Shipbuilders at Maryport, Cumberland.

(Post in preparation).


Miniature drawing of William Wood possibly by Kelsick Wood.

 Currently located along with the six portrait miniatures of Kelsick Wood and his immediate family by John Faed, in a private collection in Cumbria.

Maryport was formerly in the parish of Crosscanonby, Allerdale, Cumberland (now Cumbria).

In the late 1600’s, the town, which is located at the mouth of the river Ellen, was originally known as Ellenfoot. It was not until the 1760's and the development locally of the coal trade with Dublin by the Senhouse family that area began to thrive as a port and centre for ship building.

In the 1740's there was only one substantial building at Ellenfoot, a farmhouse called Valentia.

Humphrey Senhouse the local landowner began developing the town as a port, in 1749 an Act of Parliament was passed allowing the creation of the town. Humphrey Senhouse (1705 - 70) gave the town the name Maryport, after his wife Mary, who was daughter of Sir George Fleming, Bishop of Carlisle.

Coal had been mined on Senhouse land by the open cast method by about 1719. Delivered to the port by packhorse.

By 1749 coal was being exported as the main cargo, mainly to Ireland from Ellenfoot/Maryport.

The town was planned on a grid system following the example of  the much larger Lowther's late 17th century developments at Whitehaven inspired by the town planning of Sir Christopher Wren. 

The grid of streets was laid out, with over 100 rectangular plots, which were sold from 1749 to 1769. By 1770s Maryport contained approximately 340 families, of about 1,500 people. (see the maps below).

An Iron blast furnace was established beside the River Ellen by group of Whitehaven merchants 1754; but had closed in 1783. The remains are still in existence at the end of Foundry Lane at the base of the Moot Hill.

St Mary’s, the Church for the new town, a chapel of ease to Crosscanonby, was founded by Humphrey Senhouse in 1760. It has been rebuilt twice, once in 1847 and again in 1892.

The rather dissolute Joseph Gillibanks was installed as vicar in 1761. The church was consecrated in 1763. 

In 1792 and 1793 various charges were laid against Gillbanks concerning his behaviour since around 1785. This culminated in a three page petition alleging that he was a “Common and Habitual Drunkard & Profane Swearer, reprobate, Immoral Life unbecoming to a Clergyman”, that he had been drunk & disorderly in the street, had refused to conduct Sunday services & the occasional Offices etc etc. Eventually a 14 point series of accusations was brought to the Consistory Court in December 1793/January 1794. He was found guilty of 13 of the charges on 9th July 1794 and deprived of the living forthwith.

It is needless to say that his record keeping in the parish registers of births, deaths and marriages was not very good, although he managed to sire twelve children.

By 1829 town’s industries included three shipbuilding yards and manufactories of cotton and linen checks and sail cloth.

For a brief  but rather grim description of Maryport in the early 19th century see Sailing on Horseback pub.1814 -   In Cumbria and Dumfries and Galloway by Richard Ayton Illustrated by William Daniell R.A.

"A border of flatland continues along the shore as far as Maryport where a branch from a range of hills juts out nearly into the sea, terminating with a very bold and abrupt declivity. The largest and most respectable part of the town of Maryport is very pleasantly situated on the the high ground beneath which are a few streets on a flat bordering the harbour at the mouth of the river Ellen. This place has risen up entirely within the last sixty years, supported by the coal trade and now contains full five thousand inhabitants. The upper town is well built and regularly laid out the houses neat and the streets airy and spacious, but the lower division is as wretched as may be, betraying a condition of more shabbiness and filthiness than one should have supposed it could have fallen into in half a century......


William Wood (1725 - 1804).

Some notes:

William Wood (1725 - 1803) brother of John Wood (1717 - 1789) opened the first documented shipyard in Maryport in 1765, although from mid 18th century plan (see below) a ship yard already existed on the south bank of the River Ellen later to be occupied by Peats and Ritsons.

Wood's Yard was located in Strand Street by the North Quay. In 1765 William Wood shipbuilder of Whitehaven in a land grant No 84 by the Lord of the Manor on 19 January 1765 53 yards in front of West Strand Street to the South East and 40 yards backwards to the sea and adjoining on Fishing Yard on the South West side thereof and facing Wallace Lane to the North East side. This grant becomes void by the ground above mentioned being regranted both particularly and relatively by Grant No 185 on February 7th 1793, which grant duly increased size of shipping yard.

On 19 the January 1765 the first vessel built by William Wood was the 106 ton brig Sally followed shortly by the Delight of 127 tons. (Citation needed).

On Nov 20 "a fine new vessel called the Kirkham, built by Mr William Wood, for Captain John Bone, was launched at Mary-Port: The launch was performed with the greatest nicety; and, as the length the vessel had to run was pretty considerable, it afforded an agreeable prospect to great number of spectators: Cumberland Chronicle: 3 Dec 1776.


"On Tuesday last, was launched at Maryport, a fine vessel called the Thomas, built by Mr. William Wood, for Capt. Jonathan Harris, of that place." Cumberland Chronicle: 7 March 1778

Last Sat: "a fine vessel, pierced for 32 guns, called the Mars, was launched at Workington. She was built by Mr. Wood, and is esteemed the largest ship ever built in this county. Cumberland Chronicle: 30 Jul 1778.


Lively launched Maryport - Cumberland Pacquet; Wednesday 26 July 1786.

 Maria for Kelsick Wood - Cumberland Pacquet, - Tuesday 04 December 1792.

In 1783 William Wood was joined by his nephew Thomas Wood (1757 - 1804) (son of  John Wood (the busts)


List of the Ships built at Maryport by William Wood and Thomas Wood.

(not definitive).

19 Jan 1765, Sally, Brig, 106 tons, William Wood.

1766, Delight, Brig 119 tons, William Wood.

1770, Betsie Maryport? scuttled at Yorktown possibly built by William Wood.

1773, Martin, Snow 180 tons, William Wood.

 1776, Kirkham - On Nov 20 "a fine new vessel called the Kirkham, built by Mr William Wood, for Captain John Bone, was launched at Mary-Port: The launch was performed with the greatest nicety; and, as the length the vessel had to run was pretty considerable, it afforded an agreeable prospect to great number of spectators." - From THE CUMBERLAND CHRONICLE OR WHITEHAVEN INTELLIGENCER. Vol 1 No 1, Tuesday 5 Nov 1776.

 28 March 1778. The Thomas. On Tuesday last, was launched at Maryport, a fine vessel called the Thomas, built by Mr. William Wood, for Capt. Jonathan Harris, of that place." From THE CUMBERLAND CHRONICLE OR WHITEHAVEN INTELLIGENCER

1780. Industry, William Wood (Cumberland Pacquet 26 Aug 1783).

1782. Zephyr, 300 tons William Wood (Scythes)

1783. Robinson, William Wood (Cumberland Pacquet).

1785. Unerigg, Brig, 140 tons, William Wood.

1785. Jeremiah, Brig. 140 tons, William Wood.

 4 March 1786, Senhouse Moor, Brig. 110 tons, built William Wood, Maryport (Reg. Workington ) Listers List 1810).

26 July 1786, Lively, Brig. 163 tons for Captain Fearon. William Wood (MMM List and Cumberland Pacquet).

1787. 23 March. Lettice (Letty) Brig. 90 tons. William Wood.

8 April 1791, Curwen and Braddyll, Brig. 119 tons. William Wood.

List of the Ships built by Thomas Wood (1757 - 1804) son of John Wood at Maryport.

(not definitive).

5 April 1791.  Favourite, Thomas Wood.

1791, 14 October, Bella Isle, Brig. 177 tons, Thomas Wood at Maryport

4 Dec 1792. MariaKelsick Wood? (Cumberland Pacquet).

1793, Terry, Brig, 171 tons, Thomas Wood.

1793, Ann, Brig 95 tons, Thomas Wood.

 1793, Woods, Brig, 85 tons, William Wood.

1801, Nelson, Brig? 210 tons, Thomas Wood.

9 June 1808. Agnes, Brig 210 tons, owned J. Inman, (father in law of Kelsick Wood) A. Woods Yard.

1805, Ellen Snow 210 tons, Thomas Wood.



In 1783 there were eleven ships on the stocks or contracted for at Maryport - over 100 carpenters were employed in the yards. (Citation needed).

The town’s second major shipyard was opened on the South side of the harbour on the site of the old glasshouse, formerly the yards of John Spedding in 1780, by John Peat (later Huddleston Ritsons and after 1841 Ritsons) with a third yard following in 1810 opened by the brothers Joseph and Isaac Middleton at Paper Mill Green.

Joseph Middleton was the great-grandfather of Thomas Henry Ismay, the founder of the White Star Line of Titanic fame.


William Wood (1725 - 1803).

The Life sized carved wooden bust (pine).

Currently in the ownership of dealer Phillip Lucas - it is coming up for sale at Dreweatts of Newbury, Lot 519 on 1st December 2022,

I remain to be entirely convinced that this and the busts of John Wood are Eighteenth century.

The similarities with the busts of Kelsick Wood and Wilton Wood II are perhaps very close.

Dendrochronology would establish the age of this bust - an investigation into the paint might also be instructive.

The paint has been much refreshed, the appearance of the raised grain of the timber beneath the paint on the face suggests to me that the head has possibly been stripped with the aid of caustic soda.

Inscribed W. WOOD and is dated 1767.

It is also inscribed 43 which is possibly his age - he was born 1725.

This bust is currently (October 2022) with dealer Phillip Lucas.

Phillip Lucas has so far proved unwilling to provide a provenance beyond stating that it came from a dealer who had obtained it from a private collector, who had owned it for over twenty years.

It would be useful at least to know whether the collector had purchased the bust from someone connected with Cumberland.

The earlier bust of John Wood, his son Kelsick Wood and his son Wilton Wood were still together in 1939 in England when they were photographed by Mary Williamson. In 1968 the busts of John Wood and Kelsick Wood were sold from the American catalogues of U.S dealer Norm Flayderman.

This bust (currently October 2022) with Spitalfields antique dealer Phillip Lucas) is one of a group of three life sized carved wooden busts of the Wood brothers. 

One of John Wood inscribed aged 36 and dated 1754 another of John Wood inscribed aged 49 dated 1767. Lot 519.


This bust is at the time of writing to be put up for sale with Dreweatts of Newbury on the 1st December.

The six photographs above are from Dreweatts of Newbury website. see -

The two dated busts of John Wood are currently (November 2022) on loan to me.

There are two further busts of later family members - Kelsick Wood (1771 - 1840) son of John Wood - this bust is now in store at the Winterthur Museum Delaware USA) inscribed Jas. Fell 1824, and another of his unfortunate son Wilton Wood killed in a carriage accident in 1832, this bust which stylistically also appears to be by James Fell is still missing at the time of writing.


The Two busts of John Wood and a bust of his brother William.

The photographs below were taken at the Spitalfields townhouse of dealer Phillip Lucas.

I am very grateful to him and his assistant Sam Wadham for allowing me to visit and to photograph the three busts together.


The Bust of Kelsick Wood dated 1824.

carved by James Fell.

At the Winterthur Museum, Delaware, USA.

Images kindly supplied by curator Ann Wagner of Winterthur.

see my previous post -


For the Wood family Tree compiled by Dr Crerar (d. 1954) see my previous post -

The copies of the family tree in the archives at Carlisle was initially compiled from a gravestone in St Mary's Churchyard in Maryport.


On Nov 20 "a fine new vessel called the Kirkham, built by Mr William Wood, for Captain John Bone, was launched at Mary-Port: The launch was performed with the greatest nicety; and, as the length the vessel had to run was pretty considerable, it afforded an agreeable prospect to great number of spectators." - From  THE CUMBERLAND CHRONICLE OR WHITEHAVEN INTELLIGENCER. Vol 1 No 1, Tuesday 5 Nov 1776.

Some press cuttings regarding William Wood.

Cumberland Pacquet. 31 July, 1781.


Cumberland Pacquet. 4 November 1783.


Launch of the Lively at Maryport built by William Wood.

Cumberland Pacquet. 26 July 1786.


John Ellwood at the Low Yard 

Timber arriving from Memel (now in Lithuania).


Anthony Penny, Anchor smith deceased.

Location of his workshop.

Cumberland Pacquet. 27 November 1790.


Ref. Launching of the Maria, for Kelsick Wood. 

Cumberland Pacquet 4 December 1792.


8 May 1798. Cumberland Pacquet.


Ref. to Thomas Wood, Shipbuilder at Maryport.

Timber from Memel (now Lithuania) for sale imported on the Hannah. 

Cumberland Pacquet, 15 March 1796.


Re. The Fortune - Cumberland Pacquet ,17 August 1799.


The Will of William Wood. proven 26 September, 1804.


The Development of the Harbour at Maryport.

The Earliest Early Town Plan of Maryport.

c. 1755 - 57.

Showing the Wagon way to bring Senhouse coal to the docks "in the making".

Although the Street has been laid out there is no mention of the yards of William Wood.


Crop below from the above plan showing the location of the shipbuilding yards.

The Key to the plan says:

n. -  A place where ships are built, The Glasshouse Yard, by 1803 this was John Peats yard and latterly Hudleston, Ritson, & Co. after 1841 Ritson's yard.

d. Strand Street on opposite sides of which were the two William Woods Yards which was not yet in operation at the time of this plan.

K. The old Valencia - the earliest substantial building.


A slightly later town plan of Maryport (below).

Probably  late 1750's or early1760's.

Showing Woods Yard at Strand Street and the development of the town.

The Wagon way has now been completed for delivering coal from the Senhouse pits to the dock on the South side of the River Ellen.

With detailed crops.

Apologies for the resolution of the above plan.

The Crops below are of a higher resolution and much more useful in locating the various landmarks. Including the Furnace below the Moot Hill at the end of what is now Furnace Lane.
Remains of the furnace still exist

Maryport Furnace - some notes.
Constructed in 1752.

Maryport Furnace, 1755.

Sketch engraving of the Maryport furnace with water wheel sketched by Reinhold Rucker Angerstein, the Swedish Industrial spy.

Hats off to David Malcolm for pointing this out to me when I first visited Maryport.

For a good overview of early industrialisation of West Cumberland and Angerstein's visit see -

For an excellent in depth study of the Furnace site  see also -

26 May 1783. Cumberland Pacquet - Sale of the Netherhall Furnace.


From our point of view the most interesting detail of the plan showing the Mr Woods Yard and Mr Wood's Ground on both sides of Strand Street.

William Wood is believed to have built his house on the East side of Strand Street.

This crop shows the Yards of Mr John Spedding and Mr Christian.

John Spedding was the Estate Agent of  Sir James Lowther of Whitehaven - Spedding also had a share in the Whitehaven Ropery. ( not necessarily this John Spedding

In 1777 Spedding & Co. had a ship building yard at Whitehaven.

The tangled family history of the Cumberland Speddings and their involvement with shipbuilding needs to be clarified. There are several John Speddings.

This yard was later owned or occupied by John Peat and Co. Shipbuilders from the early 19th Century.

by 1833 Messrs Huddleston, Ritson were building ships here.

Eventually Messrs Ritsons will swallow up all of these yards on the South bank.


Sale of Spedding's Yard in Whitehaven.

Cumberland Pacquet -15 December 1791.


The Dock on the Ellen with a rear view of a ship and John Spedding's Timber? Yard on the South bank of the River Ellen.

Mr Christians Yard,
on the South bank of the River Ellen.

The Paper Mill on the North bank, later the location of Middleton's Ship building Yard.


The Maryport Glass House a few notes:

The Glass House probably commenced manufacturing in about 1752 and had ceased production by the beginning of the 19th Century - John Peat and Co shipbuilders occupied the site later by Ritsons.

The remains of Maryport glass house are now buried - an 18th century bottle manufacturing works located between Irish Street and the River Ellen. The works was established in 1752 by Lancelot Atkinson of Newcastle upon Tyne and George Monkhouse, a Penrith wine merchant. 

 27 March - 5 June 1773,  Newcastle Journal : The premises were offered for sale "to be sold on 17th June at the house of William How in Penrith - All that commodious glasshouse situated on the south side of the harbour at Maryport consisting of a cone or round house, two large pot chambers mill and clay house bottle warehouse and two crown and broad glass warehouses, korker and ash house and dwelling houses for 12 families and a very good dwelling house for an agent of the work

Closed by the end of the 18th Century.

Carlisle Archives: CRO D/CU/Compt.7, Maryport Glass House,



William Mitchell, the Painter of Maryport.

Former engine and carriage painter born Donaghadee, Co Down. Ireland

William Mitchell.
Maryport Harbour.
signed and dated 1895,

 21in x 2ft 11in (54 x 90cm) 

oil on canvas.  

Maryport as Mitchell had remembered it in the year 1839.

The Brig Gypsy Discharging Cattle from Ireland onto the Graving Bank.
With the Barque Airey ready for the broadside launching in the background in 1837.

Low resolution snap of the Mitchell Painting.
Was this the painting formerly hanging in the Labour Club at Maryport??


William Mitchell (- 1900)

Maryport Harbour in 1834.

With a ship on the Stocks at Peats Yard on the North bank.
painted 1887.

Maryport Maritime Museum.


Back of the Mitchell painting of Maryport Harbour 1834.

Looking over the graving Bank.
with a list of Local Characters.

Close up showing the Queens Head.
Until recently the Maryport Maritime Museum - closed August 2022.


View from the North Quay, Maryport.

William Mitchell

signed, inscribed and dated 'The Old Harbour M Port 1896/W Mitchell' (on the reverse)

oil on canvas.

22¼ x 43¾ in. (56.5 x 109.2 cm.)

Sold Christies London 27 May 2010.

Image courtesy Christies.




The people are promenading on the North Pier.

 The Launch? of the Collingwood from Kelsick Woods Yard, Maryport.

 Copy of an 1829's original by William Brown, which had once belonged to Wilton Wood (1805 - 32) the unfortunate son of Kelsick Wood.

 Sold by Bonham's Auction Rooms, London - Lot 25, 7th October 2015.

 Information and illustration courtesy Bonhams.

 Signed and dated W. MITCHELL/1884' (lower left) and bears two other signatures 'W. BROWN' (lower left) and 'JENKINSON/LIVERPOOL/1819' (lower centre)

 Oil on canvas

 70.5 x 107cm (27 3/4 x 42 1/8in).

 Provenance: The Estate of Baroness James (author P.D. James).

A photograph of the original canvas before it was lined shows an inscription on the reverse that reads as follows: "Launch of the Collingwood" from the/yard. Keswick [sic] Wood, Maryport/ This picture copied from the original/ by permission of Wilton Wood Esq./ Painted in 1819 by W. Brown, Maryport/and Jenkinson of Liverpool/ W Mitchell Maryport 1884'

Incorrectly dated 1819 - the correct date should be 1829.


William Mitchell (attrib).

Maryport Shipyard?

Maryport Maritime Museum.


Extract from the Kelsick Wood Journal.

Image courtesy Charles Miller.

The Brig Collingwood - 1829 entry in the Kelsick Wood Journal.

Note - Right hand page for Carving the Stern etc. £14.


Maryport Harbour. 1814.

The Mouth of the River Ellen.

William Daniel. (1769 - 1837).



The Ordinance Survey Maps of Maryport, 1860.

The Shipbuilding and Timber yards on the South bank of the River Ellen.

c. 1860.

North Quay, Maryport.

With Strand Street - showing the Woods timber yard.
Map Courtesy National Library of Scotland.

Slightly later OS Map, showing the patent slip at the former Wood's Yard.

OS Images courtesy National Library of Scotland.

The Harbour - Later Developments.

In 1833 an Act of Parliament granted permission for a new dock to be built at Maryport together with a new north pier and lighthouse. Construction was overseen by a new board of trustees and the pier, complete with its lighthouse, was in place by 1846. Both remain in situ and the light is said to be the UK's oldest cast iron lighthouse (though it no longer serves as a navigation light). It is 36 feet (11 m) high and consists of an octagonal metal plinth, column and lantern on top of a rusticated stone base. It was originally gas-lit.


Subsequently, the harbour continued to expand. In 1852, following a storm, the south pier (on which the lighthouse stands) was extended,[ and a new light was provided at the end of the pier extension (described as a lantern on a post, lit by three gas jets) with a range of 6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi). The lighthouse thereafter served as a tidal light, being lit at night only for as long as there was 8 ft (2.4 m) of water within the harbour; (during the day it exhibited a red spherical day mark to signify the same).

 In 1858 the Harbour Trustees commissioned James Chance to manufacture a small (fourth-order) fixed optic for the lighthouse, which gave the tidal light a range of 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi). The previous year, following completion of the Elizabeth Dock, additional (minor) lights had been installed on the north tongue and south jetty, within the harbour, coloured green and red respectively.


The Shipyard on the South Bank of the River Ellen.

Ritson's Yard. Formerly the yard of John Peat until 1840.

View from the North bank of the River Ellen.

Undated 19th century photograph showing a three masted ship on the slip ©  Historic England Archive ref: OP10718

Ritson who took over Peats yard in 1840 was formerly employed in Peat's yard.

John Peat and Ritsons were famous for broadside launches into the River Ellen - the photograph above shows a ship on the slip.

There are letter books from 1805 - 46 referring to John Peat at the University of Liverpool: 

Special Collections and Archives ref. D.39 -

Microfilm. Copies of the letters of John Peat and Co (written by Joseph Huddleston) are included in the volume, 23 Feb 1805 - 3 Oct 1846, although the letters mainly date from the period 1805 - 1834. The copies of these letters, together with a number of bills and several invoices, are mainly in the hand of Joseph Huddleston. They concern the firm's shipping trade with ports in Great Britain (Liverpool, Belfast etc.) "N. America" [Canada], Jamaica etc., this trade being mainly in iron and (particularly in the case of Canada) timber. Included are copies of letters to Captains of firm's ships and further letters regarding insurance matters. This trade was partially carried out in ships belonging to the Firm. Some of the timber etc. was used in its own shipyard (which built and repaired ships), but much of the trade was carried out on behalf of the firm's customers. At the front of the volume are notes on "Chronical Rheumatism" and its treatment and an incomplete index to the volume (which covers the period up to 1806 only)

View of the Harbour at Maryport - from the Moot Hill.

A few yards downstream from the previous photograph

Photograph taken in 1898 ©Historic England Archive ref: AA97/07582

Vessels were famously also launched sideways into the Ellen.


Images of a side launch at Maryport above from


Maryport Town Plan. Late 19th Century.
The Elizabeth Dock was commenced in 1857 - the work on the docks was completed in 1884.


For the Maryport Netherhall blast furnaces, see


For Maryport Conservation Area Character Appraisal see -


Ships and Shipbuilders at Maryport.

Some further notes (incomplete).

Adam Wood (1788 - 1839).

Son of Wilton Wood (1756 - 1803), who was the son of John Wood (1717 - 1789 - the busts).

Press cuttings.

On Tuesday last a vessel called Patriot was launched from the yard A. Wood & Co. for Captain Bell CJ 706, 2 May 1812 and CJ 707, 9 May 1812.

Maryport On Wednesday last a vessel called William Neilson of 400 tons was launched from the yard of Adam Wood & Co. for Mr A Davison of Liverpool. She is allowed by competent judges to be as complete a vessel as has been built for the double purpose of sailing and stowage - CJ 771, 31 July 1813.

Maryport On Tuesday a copper bottomed vessel called Thomas Bouch was launched from the yard of Adam Wood & Co. - CJ 788, 27 November 1813.

Maryport On Thursday last a brig called Cyclops was launched from the yard of Adam Wood, & Co for Captain Braithwaite: CJ 809, 26 April 1814.

 Maryport - On Saturday last three vessels called Liberty, Catherine, and Cooper were launched from the yard of Adam Wood, & Co for D.Consen, esq.  A select company dined at the Seaman’s Tavern while the band played many loyal airs. The afternoon was spent in the greatest conviviality and harmony. The day being fine an immense number assembled to view such a sight as was never before exhibited in Maryport: CJ 815, 4 June 1814.

Maryport On Saturday last a vessel called Minerva was launched from the yard of Adam Wood, & Co for the fishing trade: CJ 827, 27 August 1814.

Maryport On Saturday last a vessel called The Brothers was launched from the yard of A. Wood & Co. for the fishing trade: CJ 829, 10 September 1814

Maryport On Saturday last a vessel called Sheerwater was launched from the yard of Adam Wood & Co: CJ 875, 29 July 1815.

 Maryport - A few days ago a copper bottomed vessel called Mary and Jane was launched from the yard of Adam Wood, & Co. Captain William Thompson: CJ 886, 14 October 1815.


The Ships built at Maryport by Kelsick Wood.

from 1819 until 1840.

(not exhaustive.)

The numbers are from page 5 of the Journal no. 3 of Kelsick Wood, first transcribed by Dr Crerar.

Cumberland Archives Carlisle. 

1. 1819. 25 Feb. William, Brig, 141 tons.

2. 1819. 12 Nov. Turner, Brig, 232 .

3. 1820. 7 Nov. William Wood, Brig 114.

4. 1821. 13 Oct Harlequin, Brig 162.

5. 1821. 7 Nov.  Hotspur, Brig 205.

6. 1822. 7 May. Irishman, Brigantine 69 (built for Messrs. Robert Ferguson & Sons for navigation of the Carlisle-Solway Canal & for trading between Belfast & Carlisle).

 7. 1823. 11 March. Robert Isabella, Brig, 85.

 8. 1823. 11 May Redheart, Sloop. 29.

 9. 1824, 1st March Ann, Sloop. 55.

10. 1824. 19 Nov. Thomas Parsons. Brig, 325.

11. 1824. 28 May Ann & Mary. Sloop, 34.

12. 1825. 22 Feb. Francis Watson* Brig, 334.

13. 1825 10 Aug. William & Mary, Sloop, 34.

14. 1825. 21 April. General Bolivar* Dogger 43.

15. 1825. 16 July Solway* Brig 99 (owned by Joseph and Richd Ferguson).

16. 1826. 22 April Nelson Wood* 16 Brig 309.

17. 1826. 30 Nov Union, Dogger 58.

18. 1827. 28 July, Skylark, Sloop, 38.

19. 1827. 11 Aug. Agnes Wood, Brig. 91.

20. 1827. 19 January. Martha, Brig. 67.

21. 1827. 12 Nov, Mermaid. Brig. 68.

22. 1828. 30 June, Trinidad Packet Brig, 206.

23. 1828. 12 Nov, Spaniel, Brig. 83.

24. 1829. 7 January, Collingwood 17 Brig 282 (built for Taylor, Porter & Co. of Liverpool, cost £3430).

25. 1830. 9 January, Archer Barque 237 (built for Carlisle Merchants) (£12 per ton).

26. 1830. 10 Feb, Monk Brig 170 (General Gascoyne).

27. 1830. 7 July, Susannah Brigantine 48

28. 1831. 11 June. Darling, Brig. 101

29. 1831. 18 Sept. Prowler Brig 109 (built for Thomlinson's of Liverpool).

30. 1831. 10 June. Hopper 30 (Experiment).

31. 1832. 4 March. Charlotte, Brig, 256.

32. 1832. 4 January. Stirlingshire, Brig, 218 (Lord Sandon).

33. 1832. 15 Sept. Widows Friend, Sloop 54.

34. 1833. 8 Jan Mary. Ship, 306 (for John Bolton, Liverpool).

35. 1833. 9 March. James Ray. Brig, 232, (for Capt E. Gregson, Harrington),

36. 1833. 18 Sept. Wilton Wood Brig, 243, (built for Stockdale & Co.),

37. 1834. 29 Jan. Coeur de Lion* Ship, 352. (built for Fisher's of Liverpool),

38. 1834. 22 July. Eliza Heywood. Brig. 226.

39. 1835. 16 March. Mary Jones. Brig. 170.

40. 1835. 16 May. Paragon. Brig. 207.

41. 1835. 1 Jan. Tomlinson. Brig. 125 (renamed Alexander)

42. 1835. Nov. Lord Lowther. Brig. 269.

43. 1835. 24 Dec. Polar Star. Brig..50.

44. 1836. 18 Feb Chalco. Barque. 236.

45. 1836. July. Cockermouth Castle. Brig. 222.

46. 1837. January. Campbell. Brig. 203.

47. 1837. April. Bella Portina Brig. 227.

48. 1837. March. Cheshire Witch. 18 Paddle steamer 113 (built for Royal Dock Ferry Co.).

49. 1837. Nov. Pandora, Barque. 264.

50. 1838. 24 May, Black Prince, Brig. 298.

51. 1838 Mary, Ship.700.


Ships built by Peat.


Messrs Huddleston, Ritson.

Operating as ship builders by 1833.

Some Notes:

Invoice to Mr Hodgson, 1833.

Joseph Huddleston and Co, Timber Merchants of Maryport, dissolved 3 Sept 1816 (with George Wilson, and William Pearson.

Ships built by Huddleston Ritson & Co.

29 September 1835? First Vessel launched was the Eleanor Laidman

29 September 1835. the Shannon was on the slip to be repaired.


Huddleston, Ritson & Co – Maryport were dissolved, 1841. Joseph Huddleston, John Ritson, David Fletcher, William Ostle.

For Joseph Huddlestone at John Peat and Co. see -


Middleton's Ship Yard, Maryport.

Joseph Middleton. Paper Mill Green. Maryport.


Joseph Middleton,  Address High St, Maryport (Office?) - Jollie's Directory 1811.

On Thursday last a three masted schooner called Vine was launched from the yard Joseph Middleton for Captain Henry Ismay.  Cumberland Journal 731, 24 October 1812.

Maryport A few days ago a three masted schooner called Clyti was launched from the yard of Joseph Middleton & Son CJ 787, 20 November 1813.

Maryport - On Saturday last a brig called Janes was launched from the yard of Middleton & Co. for Captain Joseph Whinfiddie. She was launched with top gallant masts up and rigged. The singularity of the sight brought together a numerous concourse of spectators CJ 829, 10 September 1814.

 Maryport - A few days ago a vessel called Amity was launched from the yard of Joseph Middleton & Co. for Captain Longmire: CJ 867, 3 June 1815.

Maryport - On Thursday last a schooner called Hope was launched from the yard of Joseph Middleton: CJ 889, 4 November 1815.

Maryport - On Saturday last a copper bottomed vessel called Betsy was launched from the yard of Isaac Middleton & Co. for captain Smith in the foreign trade: CJ 991, 18 October 1817.

 Maryport - On Saturday last a copper bottomed vessel called Emerald was launched from the yard of Mr. Middleton, & Co. : CJ 1049, 5 December 1818.

Maryport - On Tuesday last a copper bottomed vessel of 210 tons called Elizabeth was launched from the yard of Middleton & Co. for Captain Thomas Pearson: CJ 1097, 6 November 1819.

 Harrington - On the twenty fourth a vessel called Cliti of 70 tons was launched from the yard of I. Middleton & Co. for Mr Joseph Middleton for use in the coal trade: CJ 1351, 2 October 1824.

 Maryport - On Saturday a copper bottomed brig called Countess of Liverpool of 132 tons was launched from the yard of I. Middleton & Co. for Captain Henry Jenkinson in the South American trade: CJ 1353, 16 October 1824.

 Maryport - A copper bottomed vessel called Margaret of 227 tons was launched from the yard of I. Middleton & Co. for Captain Brown: CJ 1383, 14 May 1825.

 Isaac Middleton,  An Invoice is Illustrated of 1831 in Maritime Maryport by Annie Robinson from a cache found in an outbuilding of John Hewitson.

  Very low res. image of the Middleton Invoice of 1831 - I will attempt to find a better image in due course.

Maryport, 1815.

Looking towards the sea with Paper Mill Green in the foreground and Middleton's Shipyard with a ship being constructed on the stocks


Peat & Co, Maryport.

Peat and Co - (Office?) High Street, Maryport, Jollie's Directory 1811.

Extracts below from the Carlisle Journal.

Peat and Co. Maryport.  On Wednesday last a vessel called Queen was launched from the yard of Peat, & Co. from CJ 750, 6 March 1813.

Maryport On Saturday last a vessel called Jack Tar was launched from the yard of  Peat & Co: CJ 774, 21 August 1813.

Maryport Thursday last a copper bottomed vessel called Friends was launched from the yard of Peat & Co. for Captain George Wilson: CJ 860, 15 April 1815.

Maryport On Sunday last a copper bottomed vessel called Donald was launched from the yard of Peat & Co. for Captain Thomas Allison in the West Indies trade. The day being extremely good a vast concourse of people attended among whom were many of rank and fortune: CJ 877, 12 August 1815

Maryport - Yesterday week a copper bottomed vessel called Retrench of 360 tons was launched from the yard of John Peat, & Co.: CJ 968, 10 May 1817.

Maryport - On Saturday last a copper bottomed vessel called Congress was launched from the yard of Mr. Peat, & Co.: CJ 1049, 5 December 1818.

 Maryport - On Saturday last a coppered brig of 223 tons called Hannah was launched from the yard of Peat & Co. for Captain Newby in the West India trade: CJ 1089, 11 September 1819.

Maryport - On Thursday a copper bottomed brig called Corsair of 231 tons was launched from the yard of Thomas Peat & Co. for Captain Robinson: CJ 1332, 22 May 1824.

Maryport A schooner called Linnet of 90 tons was launched from the yard of Peat & Co.: CJ 1386, 4 June 1825.


John Peat, and Co. viz John Peat, Joseph Huddleston, David Fletcher, Thomas Tolson, William Pearson, and John Fawcett - Company Dissolved 29 March 1831 (Law Advertiser).

For the Huddleston/Peat Papers see -


Ships registered at Maryport 

From Sawyers List of 1828.

The Wood family built ships underlined in red.

Compiled by Dr John Crerar - from the Crerar Files at Carlisle Archives.

There is a later Sawyers List of 1840 which I will publish in due course.


Aerial View Maryport 2008.

The site of the Woods yard has been entirely cleared. The original houses and buildings on the Wood's land on the other side of Strand Street behind the ship yard have all been replaced.

Paper Mill Green (formerly Middleton's Yard) in the loop of the river has been entirely cleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment