Monday, 31 August 2015

A terracotta bust of Queen Philippa of Hainault wife of Edward III from Queen Caroline's Library.

A Terracotta bust of Queen Philippa of Hainault (1314 - 69),
Wife of Edward III.
One of the Seven Terracotta Busts by Michael Rysbrack,
Accidently Destroyed when a Shelf Collapsed
at Windsor Castle in 1906.
The Original Photographs were taken by Livingstone in 1874 for a royal inventory.

The busts had been moved to Windsor Castle in 1825 when Queen Caroline’s library at St James’s Palace was demolished. 

The Rysbrack bust based on the monument in Westminster Abbey and the portrait by Thomas Murray of 1710 engraved by John Faber Snr.
Royal Collection Trust / © HM Queen Elizabeth II, 2015.
Queen Philippa of Hainault by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Jean de Liège
electrotype, 1873 (circa 1367)
17 1/4 in. (438 mm) high
This electrotype is a copy from the head and shoulders of the marble tomb effigy in Westminster Abbey. It is one of a series of electrotype reproductions of tomb effigies made for the National Portrait Gallery by Elkington & Co in the 1870s. An electrotype sculpture of this type is made by electro-deposition of copper onto a mould or cast of an object. The electrotype could then be patinated like bronze.
Bought by the NPG in 1872
Photograph NPG.
Portrait of Philippa of Hainault by Thomas Murray, 1710.
Current location unknown.
Queen Philippa of Hainault by John Faber Jr, after Thomas Murray.

mezzotint, possibly mid 18th century
9 5/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (245 mm x 240 mm) paper size
The Faber Mezzotint from the collection of Louis Philippe at the Chateau of Versailles.
Detail of the Faber Mezzotint giving the source of the image as both of the painting by Murray and the monument in Westminster Abbey.
Another mid 18th Century portrait of Queen Philippa of Hainault
possible by John Faber Sr.
For a surprisingly good biography of Philippa of Hainault see Lives of the Queens of England by Agnes Strickland. 1864.
On page 408, she tantalisingly mentions, a portrait on board (in Crowle's Pennants London vol. VIII. British Museum) discovered in St Stephens Cloisters.
 Royal Collection Trust / © HM Queen Elizabeth II, 2015.


  1. How wonderful to have well documented references... thank you for posting.

  2. Thank you - good to be appreciated.