Thursday 16 January 2014

The Victoria and Albert Museum Marble Bust of Pope Attributed to Roubiliac.

8.  Alexander Pope.
The Victoria and Albert Museum Marble Bust.

             attributed to Louis Francois Roubiliac.

Height 19 ins? 
Eyes Cut, draped. 
On a square tapered socle. 

Not signed or dated, 
based on the Barber Institute terracotta  bust.

see -

Victoria & Albert Museum. 

When inspected in 2002 there was a later cement fillet between the bust and socle giving the bust a pronounced forward lean.

Supposedly formerly in the collection of Lady Neave, Dagenham Hall, Essex. 
(see Wimsatt, 61.3 page 250. V.&A. Archives).

Bought from the dealer Bert Crowther, and sold to Dr. W.L. Hildburgh, who presented it to the museum  in 1947.

The provenance provided by Crowther is perhaps not entirely reliable.

A few notes -

Dagnam Park, Romford, Essex was occupied by the Army during the 2nd World War. Demolished 1948. The areas known as Harold Hill and Noak Hill are now housing estates.

It would appear that the Richard Neave first leased Dagnam in around 1749.

He was a wealthy London merchant, trading between London, Sierra Leone, and the Americas, he owned plantations on Nevis, the Leeward Islands and Montserrat.

In 1772 Dagnams was purchased by his son also Richard Neave (d.1814). who demolished the old house and built a splendid new mansion with gardens designed by Humphry Repton.

Richard Neave was Chairman of the Society of West Indian Merchants, Director of the Hudson Bay Company and became Governor of the Bank of England in 1780, Sheriff of Essex in 1794, and was created Baronet in 1795.

He was also in business with a Mr Neate, perhaps Anthony Neate.

Neave and Aislabie shipped provisions to Dominica, Jamaica, etc., a matter of £26,493. House of Commons Journal, Vol. 41, p. 339, and Vol. 43. In July 1788, Neave and Aislabie sent provisions to the West Indies for £20,636.

Major Sir Thomas Lewis Hughs Neave, 5th Baronet b.1884 - died on 12 May 1940. He was succeeded by his son Sir Arundell Neave who sold the estate to the L.C.C. and moved to Anglesey.


No comments:

Post a Comment