Monday 10 February 2014

Samuel and Martha Vandewall.

Samuel Vandewall (1719 – 1761) 
and his wife Martha ne Barrow (d. 1793).

Samuel Vandewall was an active Quaker and member of the Linen Drapers Guild.

A Chronological History prepared to illustrate the social and cultural life of the owners of a marble bust of Alexander Pope by Roubiliac.

A few chronological notes on John Vandewall III – (1685 -1731) father of Samuel Vandewall.

1685. Born at Harwich. the son of John Vandewall II.

1710. – Member of the Linen Drapers Guild and Citizen of French Ordinary Court, Crutched Friars, London marries his first wife, Martha Diamond at the Friends Meeting House, Devonshire House. William Penn, and George Whitehead are amongst those who sign the marriage certificate.

1714 – 16 Feb, - John Vandewall is described as an eminent corn factor, and merchant marries his first  wife, Ann Moore, daughter of Joseph Moore of Clements Lane, merchant, and mother of Samuel Vandewall at the Bull and Mouth Quaker Meeting House in Aldersgate, City of London.

1714 – 30 December – Birth of Joseph Vandewall at French Ordinary Court, Crutched Friars, the oldest son.

Note: French Ordinary Court – from Strypes Survey of London 1720 - This Crouched Fryers Street hath several good Buildings and Places of Name, viz. on the North Side, French Ordinary Court already mentioned, being a large open Place with very good Buildings, especially on the East Side; having Pallisado Pales, with Trees before the Court Yards of the Houses, and a Free Stone Pavement betwixt the Houses. Out of this Court is a Passage down Steps into Fenchurch Street.
Now underneath Fenchurch St Station.

The entrance to French Ordinary Court, Crutched Friars City of London.

1719 - 24 December - Birth of Samuel Vandewall, at French Ordinary Court, he is the future stepfather of the Neate children in Reynold portrait in the Metropolitan Museum, New York.

1722. John Vandewall was one of the signatories to an address by Quakers to King George I.

1726 - 6/7 January – his wife Ann Moore / Vandewall (daughter of Joseph Moore) dies of consumption.

1728 - John Vandewall marries his third wife at the Friends Meeting House Bristol, Martha Goldney daughter of Thomas Goldney the elder, of Clifton, Bristol.

1728 - both John Vandewall and Silvanus Bevan are subscribers to A view of Sir Isaac Newtons Philosophy by Henry Pemberton.

1731 – 5 January - John Vandewall III dies of a fever and is buried at the Friends Burial Ground at Whitechapel Mount, his executors are his brother in law Thomas Gouldney II of Bristol, maker of the famous grotto at Clifton, Bristol, his father in law from his second wife Joseph Moore and the Apothecary and amateur sculptor Silvanus Bevan.

His estate is left in trust to his children, Joseph Moore is the owner of a house lands and the Copperas Works at East Greenwich, which is later to be inherited by Sam. Vandewall.

1742 - 16 September - Martha Gouldney / Vandewall bereaved wife of John Vandewall marries Nehemiah Champion (1709 -1782 ) of Bristol at the Friends Meeting House, Bristol.

Notes - 

Nehemiah Champion - After Abraham DARBY left the brass mills at Baptist Mills, on the Avon near Bristol Nehemiah CHAMPION, a Bristol Quaker, assumed leadership. He was son of Nehemiah, a Bristol merchant who lived at 68 Old Market, who traded, with his son Richard, with Abraham Darby of Coalbrookdale, buying and re-selling his hollow-ware pots and pig iron. 

In 1723 Nehemiah held a patent for a new method of preparing copper for use in brass making which was used at Baptist Mills.

Nehemiah had three sons, the eldest being John (1705-1794), the second Nehemiah (1709-1782) and the youngest William (1710-1789). William travelled extensively to the continent to learn the art of brass making, returning to Bristol in 1730. He then experimented at Baptist Mills with producing metallic zinc sulphide (which at that time was imported from India and Asia at a high price) from English calamine. He was the first man, in this country, to produce zinc on a commercial scale and it took him about six years to achieve success. He obtained a patent for his method in July 1738 and his system remained in production for over 100 years.

In 1742 father Nehemiah Champion married the widow of John Vandewall, Martha VANDEWALL (a sister of Thomas GOLDNEY), and moved to a new home in Clifton opposite the family home of the Goldneys. This cemented a relationship with the Goldney family, which was to last for many years.

In 1746 Champion broke away from the Bristol Brass & Copper Co. and formed the partnership called the Warmley Company for "the making of copper and brass, spelter and various utensils in copper and brass". His chief objective in founding the new company was to exploit his patent for making spelter or zinc from calamine. William Champion recruited workmen from the continent who agreed to come if they could have free exercise of their religion for which permission was obtained.

At this time large quantities of spelter were being imported from the East Indies, and desperate efforts were made by the merchants to crush him. Before his invention spelter had been selling at £260 per ton, but the Bristol importers undercut him until in 1750 they were selling it at £48 to discourage him from continuing to smelt zinc. Although they were losing money at this price they made it impossible for William to sell his stock at a profit - he lost about £4000 on the cost of his stock.

The early partners in this venture were Sampson LLOYD, a Quaker ironfounder of Birmingham who had married William Champion's sister Rachel, Thomas GOLDNEY, a Bristol Quaker, and Thomas CROSBY a Quaker (married to Charles HARFORD's widow, Rachel nee REEVE), and others. These Quakers were all related to the Champion family. The shares in the new Company were divided eight ways and the partners contributed over £1000 each. Because some of the partners were members of The Bristol Brass Co. it was the cause of some ill feeling, which later developed into acrimony.

1739. John Vandewall's eldest son aged 25, Joseph Vandewall (married to Frances Ingram) dies of fever at French Ordinary Court.


A Chronological history of Samuel Vandewall (1719 - 1761).

1719 – 24 December. Samuel Vandewall is born at French Ordinary Court, Crutched Friars, London – the son of John Vandewall II and his second wife Anne Moore.

1731. The death of his father John Vandewall III. The executors of his fathers will are his grandfather, Joseph Moore, the owner of property and Copperas business at East Greenwich, Thomas Goldney and Silvanus Bevan, apothecary of Plough Court, Lombard St. London

Some notes on Silvanus Bevan F.R.S. of Plough Court, Lombard St. London. (1691 -1761).

I intend to write a more detailed history of Silvanus Bevan in a future entry to this blog. His name appears several times in the Vandewall family history, but his connections with Pope and the Vandewall / Neates is perhaps more than mere coincidence.

Silvanus Bevan was a very important figure in the Quaker world and a close associate of the Vandewall family throughout his life. He was born in Swansea, South Wales of a Quaker Family with mining and copper smelting interests.

Bevan was apprenticed with Thomas Mayleigh, Quaker Apothecary of Gracechurch Street. Mayleigh had interests in America.

Silvanus Bevan obtained his "Freedom" from the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries in 1715 having served his seven years’ apprenticeship. He then established his Pharmacy at Number Two Plough Court, Lombard Street in the city of London, the former family home of Alexander Pope, the poet, where Pope was born in 1688. He leased the building at Plough Court from linen draper and tobacco dealer, another Quaker Salem Osgood. William Cookworthy (1705 - 80) (see below)  was one of his apprentices.

On 9 November 1715, he married Elizabeth, the daughter of Daniel Quare, the royal clockmaker at the Gracechurch St, Friends' meeting-house in the City. His wedding was attended by many of the Great and good including Sarah the Duchess of Marlborough, Lord Finch, Lady Cartwright, William Penn, the Venetian ambassador and his wife. Elizabeth died soon after their marriage in giving birth to a son, who lived for only a few hours.

Silvanus Bevan subsequently married Martha Heathcote, by whom he had no children. His business at Plough Court  prospered and he was joined by his younger brother, Timothy Bevan (1704-1786) in 1725.

He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society 1725 and was a friend of the renowned Dr Richard Meade. 

Timothy Bevan, who married Elizabeth Barclay of the Barclays Banking family continued the Plough Court Pharmacy after his brother's retirement. He was succeeded by his son, Joseph Gurney Bevan (1753-1854). 

 Plough Court Pharmacy became one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in London in the nineteenth century, under William Allen and the Hanbury family, called Allen & Hanburys. It still exists as Smith, Kline, Beecham.

There is a portrait of Timothy Bevan illustrated in Plough Court, The Story of a Notable Pharmacy by Ernest C. Cripps 1927 which appears to be by Thomas Hudson of about 1740 but it has disappeared.

William Cookworthy, Apothecary went into partnership with the Bevan Brothers in Plymouth, as an apothecary but he is probably best remembered and most importantly for the part he played in the development of the English porcelain industry using China Clay from Thomas Pitt, Lord Camelford’s estates in Cornwall. They primarily made decorated tea services, jugs and vases. However, the business was not very profitable at Plymouth, and it amalgamated with a pottery in Bristol.

Cookworthy made his cousin, Richard Champion (1743 – 91), his manager of "William Cookworthy and Company." In 1774, Cookworthy sold his interest in the business and patent to Champion. Champion continued to buy the ingredients for the porcelain from Camelford, and paid a royalty to Cookworthy. A London warehouse, at 17 Salisbury Court, Fleet Street, was opened in 1776 and the best period of the enterprise seems to have been from 1776 to 1778, but at the end of that time Champion was forced to sell up to Wedgwood and a consortium of Stoke on Trent Potters.
Cookworthy and Bevan's apothecary shop in Plymouth, Devon was established in 1735, and continued in business as a pharmacy premise until 1974 when the last proprietor retired.

Silvanus Bevan was associated with another London Quaker business man Thomas Hyams, and Benjamin Franklin with the establishment of The Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia in the 1750’s.

Silvanus Bevan is also known for carving in ivory the only known portrait of William Penn and carved many other portrait reliefs in stone and ivory some of which were reproduced by Wedgwood in the late 18th century.

In later life he lived at Barber's Barn, off Mare Street in Hackney where he had a famous garden and where Busch, the future gardener to Catherine the Great of Russia was employed, leaving in 1771. This garden later became the famous Loddiges Nursery.


1737. The marriage of Samuel Vandewall's older brother Joseph Vandewall to Frances Ingram daughter of Joseph Ingram of Cheapside, Draper, amongst those at the wedding were the apothecary Silvanus Bevan, Joseph Moore, and many of the Ingram family.

1739. – 5 Nov. His older brother Joseph (b. 1714) dies of fever at French Ordinary Court. Crutched Friars, He leaves to his dear wife Frances his personal estate and the reversion of an estate at Greenwich “settled on testator” by his father in law Joseph Ingram on his Marriage.

1740. Samuel Vandewall inherits Ravensbourne House and the Copperas works at East Greenwich next to the Ravensbourne at Deptford Creek and also property in Peckham, South London from Joseph Moore, his grandfather on his mothers side. The Gentleman’s Magazine in its usual mercenary manner reports the death of Joseph Moore and estate of £30,000, an immense amount of money at the time. See Public Records Office, Kew London, Will of Joseph Moore. Prob 11/705.

Copperas was a valuable substance used in the production of acids & chlorine, as a dye fixative, printers ink, tanning agent and as a component of gunpowder. It was obtained from iron pyrite-rich nodules found within London Clay. The stones were placed in chalk or clay-lined beds and left to weather for up to 6 years! The resulting liquid was boiled with scrap metal for 3 weeks then cooled for 15 days during which time it crystallised. The ferrous sulphate crystals were then heated to melting point and poured into moulds. Copperas works prospered for some 200 years and by 1746 England was amongst the largest sources in Europe. However this method of production was superseded during the 18th century and the Deptford works closed in 1828.

Charles Pearson a member of the Glovers Company took over the Copperas industry at East Greenwich and was living at Ravensbourne House in 1780. He married Elizabeth Radford. He seems to have taken over the manufacture of Copperas products throughout the Thames Estuary area including those at the Crispe works at Deptford on the West side of the Deptford Creek and at Tankerton, Whitstable, Kent.

Mr Sympsons works at Tankerton in Kent were sold to Thomas Gold who left them to Elizabeth Radford.

See -The Copperas Industry (Allen and Pike 1997; Allen, Pike and Cotterill) provided the foundation for the development of the modern chemical and pharmaceutical industries and was also the first heavily capitalised industry to be established in Britain.

For an excellent in depth study of the Copperas Industry in Kent see also 

1740’s – Both Samuel Vandewall and Harris Neate had their portraits painted by George Knapton (1698 -1778) at about the same time. George Knapton, and Thomas Hudson had both been pupils in the studio of Jonathan Richardson and had become very successful portrait painters. (both portraits now in the possession of Susannah Harris Hughs).

1740 - 11 April, Thomas Neate II was born at Laurence Pountney Hill, City to Harris Neate and Martha Neate ne Barrow.

1740 - Harris Neat & Co, Merchants of Laurence Pountney Hill are noted in Kent’s Directory of London.

1741 – Birth of Martha Neate.

1742 - 6 September – Harris Neate of the parish of St Lawrence Jewry, died of a fever and is buried at Friends Burial Ground, Long Lane. London.

1743 - Saturday, June 18, Daily Advertiser, London, England, Issue 3874.

"A black negro women about nineteen years old with two letters on her breast and her shoulder made her escape from the ship Hannah, Capt Fowler, for Jamaica the 6th inst. Goes by the name of Sabinah is supposed to be deluded away by some other black about Whitechapel, Rag Fair or Rotherhith, whoever brings her to the late Mr Neates, on Lawrence Pountney Hill, shall have three guineas reward, or if put on board the ship again any time between this and next Tuesday, ten shillings more".

The above advert was repeated in the Daily Advertiser (London, England), Wednesday, September 14, 1743; Issue 3949 without the last sentence.

1744, Samuel Vandewall married`Martha Neate the widow of Harris Neate, nee Barrow at the Hereford, Worcester and Wales, Quaker Meeting House.

1744. 22 November. The marriage was also celebrated at the Friends Meeting House, Devonshire House in London, amongst those present were Samuel Hoare, Hannah Harman, Grizzel Hoare (nee Gurnell), Thomas Gurnell, John Barclay, Thomas Samuel and Mary Ingram, Sarah Gurnell, Gabriel and Margaret Goldeney, William Markes, Sarah Nichols, Frances, Daniel, Anna, Sarah, and Elizabeth Vandewall, Anthony Neate, Nathaniel and Elizabeth Newberry, William and Jane Lorance, Thomas and George Marishall, Thomas and Ann Hyam, Michael Russell etc.

Intriguingly Samuel Johnson in his famous dictionary uses as an example of the use of the word eminent in the notice of the Gentleman’s Magazine 1745 p.51 “Mr Samuel Vandewall, an eminent merchant was married to the relict of Mr Harris Neate”.

I have also found a reference to the Vandewall - Neate marriage in the Daily Advertiser, 23 November 1744: 'Yesterday was married at the Quakers Meeting at Devonshire-Squire, Mr.Samuel Vandewall, a Merchant of this City, to Mrs. Martha Neate, Widow and Relict of Mr.Harris Neate, late an eminent West-India Merchant of this City, a beautiful Lady, with a handsome Fortune.'

The London Evening Post reported on Thursday 22 November 1744, issue 2660 “Last Thursday was married at the Quaker Meeting in Devonshire Street, Mr Vandewall an eminent merchant to Mrs Neate, widow of Mr Harris Neate, a West India merchant, an agreeable lady with a large fortune, after the ceremony was over there was an elegant entertainment prepar'd at the White Lion Tavern in Cornhill, consisting of 60 dishes where 110 persons sat for dinner”  It was again reported in the General Advertiser 23 November 1744 issue 3129 using the same wording.

Scan of the Thomas Hudson Portrait of Samuel Vandewall c. 1744.

In about 1744. Samuel Vandewall, aged about 25, has his portrait painted by the celebrated portrait painter Thomas Hudson (1701 -1779) who was then at his peak of popularity. Hudson lived and worked at 55 - 56 Great Queen St. 

It seems most likely that this is a portrait painted to celebrate his wedding to Martha Neate and that a matching portrait of Martha also existed. 

Thomas Hudson was a former pupil and son in law of the portrait painter Jonathan Richardson, He was the most successful portrait painter of this period and amongst his pupils were Joshua Reynolds and Allan Ramsay.

Samuel Vandewall is portrayed in the van Dyke manner popular at the time and unusually for a Quaker he is shown three quarter length with a sword at his side and a masquerade mask in his hand – the clothing was probably painted by Hudson’s drapery painter van Aken.

This portrait was sold from the collection of Admiral Sir Walter Cowan Bt. By decent from the sitter by Sotheby’s, Bond St, London lot 45, 22 November 1967. Information – Heinz  Archive, National Portrait Gallery, London.

If the note on the Metropolitan Museum website with reference to the Diary once in the possession of Eleanor Neate is correct then it would have been at about this time that the friendship between the young Joshua Reynolds and Samuel Vandewall developed.

It is interesting to surmise his possible relationship with other members of the St Martin's Lane artistic community including architect Isaac Ware, who was the architect for the division of Lindsay House, (bought by Samuel Vandewall in 1752), Hogarth to whose prints he later subscribed, and the men who made his furniture and who supplied his pictures.

Perhaps the pocket book mentioned in the Walpole Society Journal in 1916, once in the possession of Eleanore Neate and recording a payment to Joshua Reynolds for the portrait of Joseph Vandewall still exists somewhere and will one day reappear.

Records of National Portrait Gallery Portrait of Samuel Vandewall in Collection Admiral Sir Walter Cowan. bought. Sothebys, Nov. 22 1967 Lot 45. Prov. By descent from the sitter? Catalogue Illustration.

1745. – 26 July - Joseph Moore Vandewall was born at Brabant Court, in the City of London, the child in the portrait by Joshua Reynolds.

No. 4, Brabant Court today - perhaps the address of Samuel Vandewall in the 1740's.

1746 to 1756 Samuel Vandewall is listed as one of the Governor 'takers in' of St Thomas Hospital, Southwark who met weekly to deal with admissions to the hospital.

1748. – 28 Feb – Joseph Moore Vandewall died of teething. This is the child painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

1747. Joseph Moore Vandewall was painted by Joshua Reynolds. This painting sold by Christie's London 1 December 2000, lot 31. Provenance - by descent to Commander C.E. Neate; Sotheby's London, 3 July 1956, lot 31, (1,350 gns. to Agnews). It was sold by Agnews to Vice-Admiral B.C.B. Brooke, 1957. It was acquired through Agnews by Sir Michael Sobell, 1959.

See - D. Mannings, Sir Joshua Reynolds, A Complete Catalogue of his Paintings, London, 2000, p. 452, no. 1785, fig. 27.

September 1748 Sam. Vandewall gave £20 for the relief by the fire in Cornhill on 25 March – Gentlemans Magazine Vol XV111.

1748. The Neate children, Thomas and Martha Neate his two stepchildren with their tutor Mr Needham are painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds. See above.

See Walpole Society Journal 1918 “the father of the two children (Samuel Vandewall) was a friend of the young artist (Reynolds) and a diary once in the possession of Miss Eleanor Neate recorded a payment to Reynolds for a portrait, but the sum mentioned was thought too small to apply to this portrait group. (This payment obviously refers to the portrait of Joseph Vandewall only child of Sam. Vandewall and Martha who died aged two and a half). 

An old label on the back of the Met. portrait gives us a little help. It says “Boy the paternal grandfather of the Rev. A. Neate. / Girl sister of the above married — Williams of —, Esqre / Tall figure Needham tutor of the Boy. / Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

It is an unusual portrait in that it prominently shows the children's tutor Thomas Needham. Samuel Vandewall left in his will, to Mr Thomas Needham of Clifford’s Inn. Gent. £800.

This portrait illustrates the cultured world that Samuel Vandewall inhabited, employing the up and coming portraitist who was to supersede Thomas Hudson by the 1750’s as the premier portrait painter in England.

1750. Brother of Martha Barrow / Neate / Vandewall – Francis Barrow, of Charleston.
Brother-in-law: Mr. Samuel Vanderwall of London, all estate.
Mentions: Alexander Broghton and Thomas Broghton, Jr. of Charlestown, merchants, executors.
Wit: William Michie, John Snow
D: 12 July 1750, P: 20 July 1750 R: nd P. 30 Page 117.

1750. Both Samuel Vandewall and his wife Martha subscribe to The Posthumous Works of Jeremiah Seed, MA.

1751. Sam Vandewall subscribes to two engravings by William Hogarth of Paul before Felix and Moses brought to Pharoah’s Daughter – The subscription ticket – an engraving entitled Paul before Felix (Burlesqued) was advertised in The General Advertiser, 15 May.

1751. A copy with the Robert McDougal Gallery Christchurch, New Zealand noted 2002, with Saml Vandewall Jun 5th 1751. written in as subscriber.

Note: Autograph Letters and Historical Documents‎ - Page 136 Catalogue of Maggs Bros, Maggs Bros - Autographs - 1928 - 304 pages.

2522 HOGARTH (WILLIAM, 1697-1764). Famous Painter and Engraver. ... Vandewall for the first instalment of his subscription to two Prints, " Moses brought to …This was the source of the McDougal Gallery engraved subscription ticket. Source -Google Books

30 Dec 1751 - From – The Oxfordshire Record Office


E8/8/D/01-02 Lease and Release.


  1. Silvanus Bevan of London, apothecary, and Walter Coleman of Black Fryars, London, woollen draper.
  2. Frances Vandewall of Bloomsbury, Middx. Widow.
A few notes - Frances Vandewall (ne Ingram see below).

Captain George Augustus Killigrew was born sometime before 1719. He was the son of Thomas Killigrew.
He served in Col. Douglas' Regiment of Marines according to the 1740 Army list: Captain George Augustus Killigrew, commission dated 10 Dec 1739, Ensign 17 Dec 1735 on 10 December 1735.

Captain George Augustus Killigrew married Isabella Unknown before 1743.

Captain George Augustus Killigrew and Frances Vandewall obtained a marriage licence on 27 June 1753 at London.

Captain George Augustus Killigrew married Frances
Vandewall after 27 June 1753.

Capt George Augustus Killigrew to Sir R Wilmot. Scheme to dispose of his troop and retire on the half-pay of captain on the Irish establishment. Stewart Douglass willing to resign half-pay for him.
George died before 20 August 1757 at Bond Street, Soho, Westminster.

His will was proved on 20 August 1757 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. He was a Captain in the Regiment of Carabiniers.

3. Samuel Vandewall of East Greenwich, Kent, Esq.

Property: Moiety of seven messuages and lands in St.Giles without Cripple Gate, Middx., eight messuages and lands in Whitecross St. St.Giles messuage with summer house, messuage in Gloucester Court, ten messuages in Crown Court, Whitecross St., messuages and lands in Whites yard, eight messuages in and near Basket alley near Golden Lane, eight messuages and lands in Carpenters Yard, Whitecross st., three messuages and lands in Golden Lane, thirteen cottages or almshouses in Golden lane, St.Giles, in the Lordship of Finsbury; parties 1. and 2. convey to 3. Comments: deed recites details of Lease and Release dated 12/13 Aug 1737.

1751. Sam. Vandewall takes Lindsey House, Arch Row, now 60, Lincoln's Inn Fields. Described as ‘Perhaps historically, the most important single house in London’ (John Summerson). It was purchased from The Duchess of Somerset. This house was divided into two by the architect Isaac Ware.

Originally one great house, the centrepiece of Arch Row, perhaps designed by Inigo Jones and put up for the gentleman speculator William Newton in 1638 - 41, (see Vitrouvious Britanicus for the elevation and plans).

Lindsey House was divided into two in 1751 and altered by Isaac Ware (who sat to the sculptor Roubiliac in 1741). New staircases were inserted. These two houses become 59 and 60 Lincolns Inn Fields. Other residents include the future Prime Minister Spencer Percival (1762 - 1812). The house still stands although much altered. Henry Shiffner, M.P. an executor of Sam Vandewall’s will lived next door at 59 the other half of Lindsay House from 1757. 

Info. Survey of London.

In Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House, the sinister solicitor to the aristocracy Mr Tulkinghorn has his offices in Lincoln's Inn Fields, and one of its most dramatic scenes is set there. The description of his building corresponds most closely to Lindsey House. 

After a spell as a patent agents, Lindsey House, 60 Lincolns Inn Fields has become home to the leading civil liberties barristers', Garden Court Chambers.

1752-57 his neighbour at 59 was Samuel Wegg – of the Hudson Bay Company.

Note -Wegg, Samuel, Governor, Hudson’s Bay Company, 1782-1799.

Samuel Wegg was the second son of George Wegg of Cochester, Essex, a merchant tailor, born on 17 November 1723. His mother was Anna Maria Cowper, daughter of John Cowper of Cornhill, London; she was the third wife of George Wegg. He attended schools at Colchester and Bury St. Edmunds before being admitted to St. John’s, Cambridge. He was admitted to Gray’s Inn in 1741 and admitted to the Bar in 1746. Samuel Wegg received his first stock in the Company at the age of 25, on the death of his father in 1748. He was elected a member of the Committee of the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1760; and served as Governor from 1782-1799. Wegg was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1753 and played an important role in the relationship between the Society and the Company. He died at his own in Action in December 1802.

Elected fellow of the Royal Soc.1753.

Samuel Wegg was followed by Henry Shiffner who lived there from 1757 – 1762.

Henry Shiffner was executor of the will of Samuel Vandewall.

Notes -Henry Shiffner who married Mary, a Bridger heiress, came of a merchant family. His grandfather, Matthew, was a Russian subject who became a naturalized Englishman in 1711 under the Act 7 Anne, c.5 (1708), and is described as 'an Antient Member of the Russia Company in England'; he took up residence in London. Matthew's father was reputedly an Archbishop of Riga, Matthew married Agnata Brewer, said to be gouvernante to the Duchess of Courland, who later became Empress Ann of Russia, 1730-1740 (not Elizabeth, as stated in some papers i The Empress was godmother to Matthew's daughter Benigna.) but no such dignity seems to have ever existed. Matthew refers to five of his six children in his will proved in 1756, and it appears that his sons Henry and John carried on his trade as merchants in Broad Street, London, principally with Northern Europe, and we have some accounts and papers relating to their insolvency in 1761 which Henry, in a letter to the Duke of Newcastle, ascribed to his brother's foolishness. It was an unfortunate event because Henry has just been elected Member of Parliament for Minehead, Somerset.

For more see the Shiffner Archive -

1751. From Oxfordshire County Records, Alvescot Estate.

Lease and Release - E8/8/D/01-02  30 Dec 1751 - Parties:

1. Silvanus Bevan of London, apothecary, and Walter Coleman of Black Fryars, London, woollen draper

2. Frances Vandewall (ne Ingram) of Bloomsbury, Middx., widow (of Joseph Vandewall, brother of Samuel)

3. Samuel Vandewall of East Greenwich, Kent, Esq.

Property: Moiety of seven messuages and lands in St.Giles without Cripple Gate, Middx., eight messuages and lands in Whitecross St., St.Giles, messuage with summer house, messuage in Gloucester Court, ten messuages in Crown Court, Whitecross St., messuages and lands in Whites yard, eight messuages in and near Basket Alley near Golden Lane, eight messuages and lands in Carpenters Yard, Whitecross St., three messuages and lands in Golden Lane, thirteen cottages or almshouses in Golden lane, St. Giles, in the Lordship of Finsbury;     parties 1. and 2. convey to 3.

Comments: deed recites details of Lease and Release dated 12/13 Aug 1737.

1752. Vandewall, Samuel is listed in the Complete Guide as at Brabant Court, Philpot Lane.

1753 Samuel Vandewall subscribes to The Works of the late Aaron Hill Esq.

1753 Sam. Vandewall subscribes £5 to a fund for the suppression of Lawlessness at Blackheath.

1753 - Reported sold at auction in 2008 - see Artnet - Brecon - Pipton. A large nine-page vellum indenture, 25th July 1753, concerning the release of lands in Pipton to John Lloyd and Thomas Williams, for the sum of £6,240, somewhat soiled and some lettering faded, with ten seals and signatures, including Thomas Foley, Phineas Andrew, Samuel Vande Wall, Nathaniel Newberry, Thomas Browne, Thomas Williams, Mary Williams, S Alston and P Case, overall 64 x 75 cm.

1753.It was reported in Read's Weekly Journal or British Gazetteer (London, England), Saturday, September 15, 1753; Issue 1486. - Mr Goulding of St Paul's Churchyard was chosen Master of the Drapers Company for the year ensuing, in the room of Mr Vandewall who has paid his fine to be excused from the said office.

1754. Sam.Vandewall purchased the Lordship of the Manor, and the Rectory of Aldenham, Hertford from the Prime Minister Thomas Pelham Holles, Duke of Newcastle (1693 - 1768), who lived two doors away from Sam.Vandewall at Newcastle House, Arch Row, Lincolns Inn Fields. (Newcastle was Prime Minister (1754 - 1756 and 1757 - 1762).

Martha Vandewall in turn became patron of the living at Aldenham and presented three rectors in 14 April 1774, 7 June 1775 and 20 March 1794.

1755. Dr Johnsons Dictionary is published – for the word eminent he uses the example of Samuel Vandewall, an eminent merchant, was married to the relict of Mr. Harris Neate.' Gentleman’s Magazine 1745.

1756. Samuel Vandewall and Sylvanus Bevan are both listed as Governors and Guardians of the foundling Hospital.

1755. - 65 - Benjamin West paints the portrait of Mrs Vandewall.

C.1760. A miniature enamel portrait of Samuel Vandewall is painted by Gervase Spencer (d. 1763) a leading miniature portrait painter of his day. Sold Sotheby’s.

1757. - 11 August Samuel Vandewall makes his will at Greenwich.

1758. Samuel Vandewall subscribed to “History of the life and reign of Philip King of Macedon the Father of Alexander by Thomas Leland DD

1758. Both Samuel and Martha Vandewall subscribe to Milton – Paradise Lost, published by Tonson.

1758 Samuel Vandewall subscribes £5. 5s. To the Marine Society, from June 1756, to February 16, 1758.
note. philanthropist Jonas Hanway founded the Marine Society the first seamans charity.

1760. Easter Term 1760. Court of Kings Bench, Rex v Vandewall presided over by Lord Mansfield. Samuel Vandewall was Lord of the Manor of Aldenham.

1760. June 5. Is listed as a member of the Soc. for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.

1761. 22 – Feb. Death of Sam. Vandewall, Esquire at Lincolns Inn Fields. See The Gentleman’s Mag.

It was reported in the London Chronicle (Semi-Annual) (London, England), Saturday, February 21, 1761; Friday morning died at his house in Lincolns Inn Fields; Mr Vandewall a gentleman of large fortune.

In his will he leaves his wife Martha £500 a year, and gives her a further sum of £5,000, he also gives her the house in Lincoln's Inn Fields “where he resides when in London and also gives her all his furniture, books, pictures etc. at both his houses at Lincolns Inn Fields and at Greenwich”. (Lindsey House and Ravensbourne House).

For a comprehensive history of the Copperas works owned by Sam. Vandewall, inherited by his stepson Thomas Neate and then owned by Pearson see - 

He also left Thomas Needham Esq. of Clifford's Inn, Gent. £800. ) ( PCC 110 Cheslyn.)              

The rest of his property he leaves in trust for Thomas and Martha Neate and four other relatives.

Executors are Henry Shiffner (of 59 Lincolns Inn Fields, MP of Pontrylas, Hereford, and from a family of former German / Russia Merchants) and Nathaniel Newberry merchant (who owned land in Pennsylvania).

He left John Bynes, supervisor of his Copperas works at Greenwich £20.

There existed an Account Book of Thomas Neate which was seen by Lt Cmdr Frederick. Colvile. (This account book unfortunately disappeared but notes with Susanna Harris Hughs). 

This extensive account book has now been found and will be the subject of new posts in due course.

It notes -

According to the inventory Samuel Vandewall who died 8.2.1761 had estates”

a) Aldenham - £16,109,           Freehold

b) Common Birch, Aldenham,                                        £400 Copyhold

c) Whitecross St,                                                            £2129.

d) Hyde Green, Ingatestone. (Essex),                             £1348.

e) Peckham,                                                                    £3,126.

f) Jordans, (Quaker meeting House properties)              £2,298.

g) Greenwich,                                                                £1,712:11.

h) Stable Yard St, Greenwich,                                           £230.

i) Copperas, the works and Ravensbourne House, Greenwich,        £5,000.

j) House Arch Row), Lincolns Inn Fields,                                         £3,972.

k) Lead Mines at Wirksworth,                                              £75 (1/48 share)

l) Lifehold from Harris Neate at Gastard,                        £2,500.

Samuel Vandewall was interred in the family vault that he had prepared in his lifetime at Jordans Quaker Meeting House Burial Ground, Chalfont St Peters, Buckinghamshire. Rebekah Butterfields Journal 27th Feb 1761 states that “Samuel Vandeval Esquier was buried at Jor. Thomas Whited (Whitehead) spoke at ye grave their was ye hairse and four coches”

William Penn of Pennsylvania is buried close by. Friends had objected to this outward display of ostentation by Samuel Vandewall but he simply added in 1748 a plot of his own land adjacent to the burial ground and made his vault. This was for many years separated from the main burial ground by a row of lime trees but these have now disappeared.

The appearance of the vault was like an ancient tumulus or burial mound, the enclosure was about 10 yards by 9 yards wide.

From the abstracts of trust property belonging to the Upperside Monthly Meeting, it appears that, "by indenture of lease and release, dated 23rd and 24th of 6th month, 1763, the devisees of the late Samuel Vanderwall added a piece of ground adjoining to Friends' Burial Ground on the north side, in the first place for a burying place for the family of the late S.V., and then for the use of Friends in the like manner as the Burial Ground is. The length of it is about twenty-two yards and width ten yards, taken from an orchard called Garden Orchard, a part of an estate called Jordans, which by recent purchase had become the property of the late Samuel Vanderwall." 

Another account states that Samuel Vandewall had made over the ground in his lifetime, by a deed dated 1748, but there would' seem to be some error here. Possibly 1748 was the date of his purchase of the old Jordans property. Later on, by indenture dated 17th day of July, 1777, the same piece of ground was transferred in trust to Joseph Steevens, T. Edmonds, sen., R. Eeles, sen., R. Eeles, jun., T. Bayley, and T. Edmonds, jun., whereby the whole of the property of the Friends at Jordans became vested in the same trustees.” - From Memories of Jordans and the Chalfonts… by WH Summers 1895.

Jordans Meeting House and burial ground founded 1688, also contains the bodies of William Penn, Founder of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, buried in 1718 and his family, Isaac Pennington and other early Quaker grandees. The meeting house recently suffered a fire and has been rebuilt as it was.

Amusingly for many years many visitors confused this vault, because of its grandness, with the grave of William Penn.

See - November 20, 1898, Wednesday. New York Times. Section: illustrated Magazine Supplement, Page IMS13,

Digitalised full text of Memories of Jordans and the Chalfonts and the Early Friends in the Chiltern Hundreds by WH Summers 1895.

1762. - Martha Vandewall leaves Lindsey House 60 Lincoln's Inn Fields.

1766. In 1767. Martha Vandewall’s address is given as Harley St, London –

See Assignments of mortgages in connection with DE/Wy/39603, and DE/Wy/39604, These are the Manorial Records, Title deeds and family papers of the Heaton Ellis family of Wyddial Hall, 1465-1885. Also Gulston Wyddial papers. Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies.

1771. Thomas Neate marries Charlotte Seward (sister of the dilettante author William Seward) at St Giles, Cripplegate, London.

In 1771, Martha Vandewall appears to be living with her daughter Martha Williams at Roehampton.

1773; General Evening Post (London, England), Tuesday, April 13, 1773; Issue 6164. The death of John Williams, husband of Martha Neate is reported.

on Monday last at Mrs Vandewalls house in Harley Street, - John Williams Esq of Pant Howell in the county of Carmarthen.

1777. Martha Vandewall moved to Bath.

The History of St. Lukes, Golden Lane.

Previously properties owned by the Vandewalls.

The boys’ school began in a house in Golden Lane. Although there are no records of the Foundation, or Institution in actual documents, there are many references in contemporary writings to The Greycoat Charity School for boys, Golden Lane, founded 1698. The boys were dressed in a grey uniform, giving the school its name.

In the year 1732 the parish boundaries were altered. The school, now in a new parish changed its name to the St Luke’s Charity School for Boys, Golden Lane.

The boys’ school was fulfilling the hopes of its founders and its success inspired efforts to provide a similar school for the girls of the parish.

Twenty girls were admitted in 1761 and although there were many applicants each year the number remained constant until 1772.
Both schools were inundated with applications and had to turn down the majority because of lack of space.

In 1773 the committee decided that something must be done to make more space available so that more children could be admitted, for applications were still far in excess of the numbers that could be accommodated.

After a great deal of searching in the overcrowded parish a possible site was eventually found, and on the 3rd March 1780 the foundation stone of a new building was laid.

The site in Golden Lane was originally occupied by some dilapidated almshouses. The owners, Mrs. Mary Vanderwall? (Martha Vandewall) and her son, Thomas Neate Esq. agreed that the trustees could have the site, for the purpose of building a school and no other, on a 999 years’ lease.


1780 - William Storer’s petition to Parliament for funding of experiments to improve his newly invented portable telescope, 1780 -

Note - From The Journal of the House of Commons, vol. XXXVIII November 26th 1778 to August 24th 1780. is signed by Mrs Vandewall and many of the great and good.

1784. Martha Vandewall inherits from William Markes, Citizen and Glover of Cheapside, (see family tree), £20 and the five pictures in his Dining Room.

18 Jan 1787 – In the newspaper The Bath Chronicle - Property: to let - modern-built house & court, coach-house, kitchen, gardens etc, next to Lansdown Rd, Walcot, late in occuptn Harford Lloyd, esq. Previous tenant Mrs Vandewall. Partcrs John Jefferys, Crescent, Bath. [No lease details/price given].

 22 Feb. 1787 – Bath Chronicle - Property: to let or for sale - large modern house with spacious area and court before it and coach house stable and kitchen gardens & pleasure grounds, late Harford Lloyd's, esq, & late in possession of Mrs Vandewall as tenant thereoff. Adjoins Lansdown Road in the parish of Walcot, near the city of Bath commanding a very rich and variegated prospect of the beautiful vale, river and hills environing Bath and not more than a quarter of a mile distant from it. For particulars and agreement please to apply to John Jeffery's, Crescent, Bath.

These probably refer to Lansdown Grove a very substantial house on the north slopes overlooking the city– now the Lansdown Grove Hotel.

27 Feb, 1794 – Bath Chronicle - Deaths: Mrs Vandewall of George Street, Hanover Square, London, at her apartments in Bennett Street, Bath. Yesterday.

She is buried in the family vault prepared by Samuel Vandewall at Jordans, Friends Burial Ground, Chalfont St Giles, Bucks.

From the Rebekah Butterfield manuscript.

"Martha Vandewall was put in the Vart [vault] to her husband, her son and husband's brother. She died 2nd day, 24th of 2nd mo. was brought from Bath, Beaven's wife of London spoke at her burial. She was 83 years old." This probably refers to the wife of the apothecary Timothy Bevan brother of Silvanus of Barbers Barn Hackney, and Plough Court, Lombard Street, London.



  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. I thought this was extremely interesting - in particular the link to Bevan and also to the Champions. I think there is a lot more here. I am not clear however what the exact link is to Joseph Moore. I am however pleased for the reference to the GREENWICH copperas works as distinct from the more famous DEPTFORD works - and I wish I had seen this refence 15 years ago when I was trying to prove the existence of the Greenwich works. I was trying also to show that the Moores were the same family that owned Coombe Farm (near todays Westcombe Park Station) and also suspected a works on the Greenwich Peninsula - on the site now known as Enderby Wharf. anyway all very interesting.

    1. Hi Mary - I have recently discovered most of the accounts of Thomas Neate and the Vandewalls from about 1762 until 1800 with much information on the Copperas business in Greenwich - I am currently in the throes of moving house and it is one of a number of projects that I will come back to once the air has cleared. In the meantime if you search in the top left box on the blog you will find further refs to the Vandewall, Neate, Moore and Bevan families - contact me by e mail if you wish to communicate further Regards D