Monday, 13 July 2026

Some Coade Stone Church Monuments.

 


Essay in preparation.



The Memorial to Frances Brown, daughter in law of Lancelot "Capability" Brown in Coade stone at Parish Church of St Peter And St Paul, Fenstanton`. Cambridge.

 TheWife of Lancelot Brown [Jnr] Lord of the Manor and sister of Rose Fuller Esq of Rose Hill ... Sussex". She died  2 December 1792 aged 38. Couple had married in 1788 at Lausanne.




................................


St Mary's Church, Battersea.

The Monument to John Camden, (d. 1780), and his eldest daughter Elizabeth Neild, (d. 1791). 

 Signed by Coade Lambeth 1792.


James Neild (d.1814) goldsmith - son of James Nield of Knutsford, married, in 1778, the Elizabeth eldest daughter of John Camden of Battersea and had two sons and a daughter.
















....................................


The Victoria and Albert Museum version.

This Coade stone monument to Sir William Hillman, made by Coade and Sealy in 1800, was originally in the demolished church of St. James's, Hampstead Road, London.

Monument to Sir William Hillman (1740–93)

Commisioned bySir William Hillman’s sister, Elizabeth Walter.






The Kedermister Chapel, S Mary's Church Langley, Berkshire.










The Kedermister Chapel and its attached library, located within St. Mary’s Church in Langley, Berkshire, were established in the 1630s by Sir John Kedermister.

In 1788, Sir Robert Bateson Harvey, Bt, acquired the manor, and thus began a new dynasty, which lasted until the death of the last Lady Harvey in 1937. The first Sir Robert was Sheriff of Buckinghamshire in 1791 and his descendants provided further sheriffs in 1828 and 1900. They made the burial vault their own, and they used the chapel above for the display of family monuments. The earliest of these, for David and Elizabeth Harvey, is a Coade stone figure of a mourning woman and is dated 1791.

The screen separating the nave and the south chapel added by the Kedermister family is of Coade's artificial stone, was set up by Robert Bateson in 1792 from the designs of Henry Emlyn, who also designed the organ gallery and screen in St.George's Chapel, Windsor, which are built of the same material.

Emlyn's most notable work was the late-18th-century restoration of St George's Chapel (1785–1790), where he designed and supervised alterations including the choir screen in Coade stone, the organ case, the altar, and new stalls for the Royal Family, all crafted to harmonize seamlessly with the medieval Gothic structure.




Of Tangential Interest -